July 21, 2011

100th Post! and an Auction

I can't even believe it! When I started this blog I didn't think I would ever write anything past the first couple of posts, but here I am at 100. Crazy! I wonder if I'll make it to 1,000?

Look out! Subject change ahead! I hope you're wearing your seat belts! (pronounced seat bayult if your name is Amanda and you speak your own language. *wildly waving hand in the air*)

So...last weekend after my sweet cousin Deitra's wedding mom, grandma, and I went to an auction. I love auctions! Other people's leftover junk is totally my treasure.

This auction, however, turned out to be a tad bittersweet, but we didn't find that out till much later in the day when one of my grandma's gabby friends (are all grandma's and their friends super gossipy or is it just mine?) told her that ALL of the items at the auction had come straight out of the house onto the lawn and that none of the children kept a single thing. Incredibly sad. I don't know the details behind the story, but giving up everything from my past would be really hard to do.

Nevertheless (who invented this weird word?), we still had a good time checking out all of the hidden treasures.


I've always thought naming a town Corn to be way funny.





Totally scored this wooden fruit! Mom thought I was nuts for wanting it, but I think it's fantastic. I've already painted the wooden stand they were sitting in emerald green which if you read yesterday's post you know I've been painting everything that color. I wasn't too psyched about the naked dancing cherubs, but hey! That's how an auction goes. You get what you want with a bunch of stuff you don't.



I really wanted these buttons, but they went to some other lovely lady.



These TVs make me laugh.



I really, really, really wanted this butterfly pin, but another bidder got it. I found out later that the lady who bought it was buying it for the daughter of the lady who had owned the house (man, that was confusing). That made me happy so I'm glad my bid didn't win.



A woman who had to have been from an antique store (she was buying practically everything) bought most of the stuff on this table. Except for the dark green bowl and the little crock next to it. Mom and I took those home.



Is this the weirdest lamp you've ever seen or what?



But this lamp? I wanted this one. Bad. But it got way too hot before they made it around to this so I said goodbye. Goodbye lamp! I'll miss you forever!



Metal chairs are fantabulous.











Isn't this dresser gorgeous? There's a sad tale to go along with it. You might need to grab the Kleenex...

This dresser is part of a suite which was the first major furniture purchase the woman who owned the house and her husband bought after they were first married. When the auctioneers finally got around to the furniture one of the woman's daughters showed up to bid on this bedroom suite. The battle was between her and one other person. An antique dealer. Needless to say the antique dealer outbid her and the daughter was unable to keep something that she had always known.

I love auctions, but I don't think I'll ever be able to go to one again without thinking of what's going on behind the scenes. I can't even imagine why this family had to give everything away.





I thought this would be fantastic on the front porch as a planter, but it's another one of those things we didn't stick around for.







These babies came home with me. I don't know why I needed them, but I NEEDED them.



The homeowner had been a quilter her whole life. Grandma said she made some of the most beautiful quilts she had ever seen.


See that one in the bottom middle? She's at my house now. And the two on the right? Those are at my mom's house. We have problems, I know.



I wanted this salt shaker so bad I could taste it, but the auctioneer stuck it in a box with a bunch of silverware so it went too high for this girl.





Jell-O molds!


On that note, I shall end this rather lengthy 100th post. I'm sorry if I made you cry, but I hope I didn't make you scared to check out an auction. They really are pretty fabulous.

Ya'll come back now! Ya hear?






2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to go to an auction! I never know when or where they are so I settle for browsing antique stores instead. Love imagining the stories behind all of the stuff.

    Happy 100th post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you remember the Shop 'n Swap? They're usually listed in those types of papers. You should definitely look for one! They're so fun, but I love antique stores too. I could spend HOURS in one. :)

    ReplyDelete