May 23, 2011

AMBUCS Installation Banquet

Saturday we had our Installation Banquet for Cowboy Country AMBUCS. If you don't know what AMBUCS is you should definitely go look it up here and read about it. (I have a ton of pictures, but I left my camera at my parents' house so I'll have to post them later.)

This is our mission statement:

National AMBUCS™, Inc. is a non-profit service organization consisting of a diverse group of men and women who are dedicated to creating mobility and independence for people with disabilities.

So, the installation banquet is where all of your incoming officers are sworn in for the year, but in our case our entire club was sworn in because we're new. This is also the banquet where I used these:


Twine Cups

The great thing about AMBUCS, besides our mission of creating mobility, is that you don't just join a club, you join a family. I've only known some of our members for just over a month, but I already consider them to be really great friends. I'll be honest. At first I was extremely reluctant to join. I had a million reasons which all revolved around this, "I'm too busy." But now that I'm a member and I've been able to spend time with other members and been able to hear stories about what other clubs are doing I'm glad I joined and didn't go with my wimpy reclusive gut.

I don't know if you're supposed to feel selfishly good about doing good (I hope that made sense), but I do. I feel like by joining AMBUCS I'm already becoming more social and meeting all kinds of people which is a huge benefit for my wimpy reclusive gut. And like my momma always says, "you can never have too many friends." Then there's the added benefit of feeling good about helping people in need.

A couple of years ago when my dad was considering starting this club in our town (he's the president right now) some AMBUCS from surrounding clubs were coming here to build a wheel chair ramp for the wheel chair basketball coach at OSU. All I can say is it was way cool! To see all those people come together, some of them meeting for the first time, to build something for someone else and expect nothing in return was incredible. The smile on the coach's face was amazing. She was so happy to finally be able to invite her entire team to her house and not have to make sure someone would be there to carry them up her front porch. It's such a joy to see the change you make in someone's life.

I hope that's what our AMBUCS club will be able to accomplish. I hope we're able to raise money and give back so we can see hundreds of smiles on hundreds of faces.


Source

It's a great day to be an AMBUC!

No comments:

Post a Comment